Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Yoga and Christians?

Have you ever had a check in your spirit that you know was from the Holy Spirit? I can remember when the yoga frenzy hit this part of the United States and it seemed all the world was into this new kinda exercise. I was never really tempted to get in on the classes or videos, but it did make me stop and a do a little research as to why my heart was so strongly convicted to stay away from all things yoga. Fast forward 10 years and I just came across a good article that resonated with my thinking then and now. Found here . For me, the benefits that yoga offer are far less important than the negative effects it can have on me and others. Sadly, we are a group of cultural Christians. We tend to follow the culture and keep our spiritual lives in check while at church or during our 30 minute devo, but we don't allow the Holy Spirit access to the decisions we make for our every day lives. Have you ever read any works from the Puritans or any Christian of old that has stood against the grains of their culture? What I find from reading them is that they bring everything under the lordship of Jesus Christ. From what they eat, when they do as their profession, how they spend their time, etc. It all centers on the authority of Scripture not the latest craze in society. With that said, I think it is important for us as Christians to know what exactly yoga is. Yoga has it's origins in early eastern religions such as Buddhism and Hinduism. *Should be warning signals going off* The actual word yoga means "to unite" or "to yoke" with regards to the physical, mental and spiritual states of the body uniting together to unite with "god" or your own "godlikeness". In essence, yoga is the practice of releasing the mind, body and soul of their individual states and uniting them together to experience enlightenment or a supreme state of being similar to a god. And what about all those good stretches in yoga? Aren't they just that - stretches that I can do without all the spiritual implications? Here is what yogabasics.com has to say about yoga postures: Asana is defined as "posture", its literal meaning is "seat". Originally, asanas served as stable postures for prolonged meditation. More than just stretching, asanas open the energy channels, chakras and psychic centers of the body. Asanas purify and strengthen the body and control and focus the mind." So, what if I don't use yoga for it's said intentions? What if I just want the physical benefits that yoga may provide and I honestly don't use it for it's meditative purposes? I believe this is a dangerous road for Christians to follow. Do you remember what God told the Israelites when He delivered Jericho into their hands? He told them to "by all means abstain from the accursed things, lest you you become accursed when you take of the accursed things" (Joshua 6:18). Now, in my very humble and unscholarly mind I may be making too big of a jump to say that yoga is an accursed practice. But, that's the generalization that I come to. That this pagan practice so rooted in eastern and New Age religions is accursed because it is dedicated to the worship of a false god. On that thought alone, I don't want yoga to be a part of my life, neither physical and certainly not spiritual. I don't want it in my home where my children will be intrigued and want to experiment with it. I would never want another person, Christian or not, to say that yoga must be acceptable for them because they saw me or heard of me doing it. I would never want to play a role in leading someone astray and opening their minds to a spiritual practice so far from the Truth of God's Word. So, I will stay away. And it's getting harder to stay away with yoga poses on the outside of the new diet books, intertwined in the latest exercise videos. Even making it's way into Bible Studies at Christian churches where I had a leader instruct everyone to "close your eyes and take a deep breathe and let go of everything. Just breathe." Innocent as it may seem, my warning flag was raised telling me that we Christians are slowly melting into the culture and forgetting that God, in His Holy Word, tells us "do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may be able to prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God." Romans 12:2 See, God doesn't tell us to let go of our minds or meditate on nothing or some word we repeat over and over. No, God tells us that we renew our minds when we meditate on His Word. We aren't supposed to achieve control over our minds so that we can empty it and find the supernatural power hidden within us. Instead, Christians are to die to themselves and live by the power of the Holy Spirit who alone can fill us with self-control. Oh, Christian! I beg of you to research for yourself and find out the truth the behind this pagan practice so that you can test for yourselves and see if it is good and acceptable!

2 comments:

  1. there are soo many things that our culture is being watered down for. Jeff and I have been talking about that lately. How the basic word of God is being dumbied up for us, and especially our children. We need to stand firm on the Word of God alone.!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the stretching aspect of Yoga. I've had problems with my neck for years and the exercises seem to help. I honestly didn't know much about the practice of it all. None of my classes have ever included meditation or even addressed what you mentioned above. They were strictly for exercise. And truth be told, I would be the one in the back laughing if they asked me to cross my legs indian style and say oohhhmmm.

    ReplyDelete