Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Oh What Fun it is to - Homeschool!!


We are now in full "school mode" as we attempt to get back on a schedule and add more structure to our day. Life in the Mason household gets really crazy when we have no planned activities or structure to our day. I spent all last week putting away Christmas and organizing each room as best I could, as well as getting an idea of where we are in this school semester and where we need to be at the end of the year. All that to say, I felt fairly confident about my preparations for starting a fresh semester on Monday. I had our morning activities broken down into 30 minute increments with ample time for each child to learn and play with mommy. We even took away sugar treats about a week ago so that each child would be off the sugar buzz and as self-controlled as each kid, in their nature, can be.


What I did not plan for was resistance from the little "Masonite's", as we like to call them! I am guessing, just a shot in the dark here!, that in all the Christmas splendor, we relaxed on our parenting and training efforts. We were on the go and I was busy in the house, which makes it easier to let slide what would normally receive quick correction. I have been paying the price these first two days back to "school"! It seems we have forgotten how to respect each other, how to answer adults, how to obey quickly with a happy heart and how to focus on our school work!! Not that we had these things mastered before Christmas or even did them well, but I know my children put forth a better effort than I have seen these last two days! The boys are fighting during room time, the girls are a constant ball of motion during school time and mom is tired of saying "Sit down, stop fighting, don't touch each other, listen to me!!"


So, the "school schedule" has had to undergo some renovations! For now, I am giving a break after each subject (which each subject only lasts 15 -20 minutes when you are in 1st & 2nd grade!). Normally we would talk a morning break and go on our nature walk , but we have been trapped inside for 2 days by the cold rain. Hopefully we will be able to get back outside again soon - we were so spoiled over the Christmas break with unusually warm weather! For now, I am trying to have the kids release their energy by doing exercise videos with me! I need to video this!! It is quite humorous!


I also tried to get the kids "stocking- stuffers" that would encourage a love for learning and compliment our curriculum - or really serve as part of our curriculum. The girls received a Brainquest set on American History, which is quickly becoming a favorite subject around here, and the Boys received a Brainquest Kindergarten . We enjoy quizzing each other over lunch and dinner, until Dad gets tired of us all talking and not eating! The girls also received a World Geography puzzle which has been very challenging, but also fun to work during nap time! Last year my mom bought the kids a Claude Monet puzzle of the Japanese Foot Bridge, which is our preferred method of studying art history!! These are a few ways that we enjoy learning from home, rather than behind a school desk for 7 hours a day! Though it is not always fun to be the one who does most of the correcting and training day in and day out, I am so glad God has placed in me the desire to teach my kids from home. Hopefully we are not only cultivating a love for learning, but also a love for family and others!

1 comment:

  1. YEAH! I'm glad I'm not the only one who has days like that when my detailed and wonderful schedule gets thrown out the window and back to boot camp we go!!

    ReplyDelete