Sunday, May 10, 2009

W's Birthing Story

This post is mainly for my own recollection, for that coming day in the not so far away years when little W asks me,"Tell me about the day I was born." Our official due date was Thursday, April 30, but my plan for the past month was to have baby on May 5 (somehow I forgot the significance of May 5, or Cinco De Mayo, and have already begun praying that W has a heart and passion for things of the Lord and is not drawn to things of this world!!) Our midwife was scheduled to be on call on May 5, so in my mind, I did not want to go into labor before that day.

After a check-up on Monday, May 4, I still was not having contractions and thought I could get a good nights sleep and start trying to get things moving in the morning. By 6:00 that evening, I was having what I thought were the beginning of some contractions that were worse when I walked around. I laid down and was fine, but by 9:00 they were stronger and still present no matter what position I was in. By 11:00 I was timing the pesky pains and by 12:00 I decided it was time to get in the bath tub for a little relief. This was the first time I had ever labored at home, thus, the first time I had labored in the bathtub. It definitely brought some relief to the pain and helped me remember to relax my body when the strong pains hit. Robbie got out of bed at 1:00 when he heard me yelp in the tub (not from pain, but because I turned on the jets and they scared me!! - At least it got him out of bed!!) He took over the stopwatch and told me it was time to head to the hospital. I kept putting him off because I didn't want to wake our midwife, who was not scheduled to come on at the hospital until 8:00 am. I thought I could hold off until 5 or 6 so she could at least get a little more rest before her 24 hour shift. My contractions were anywhere from 2-5 minutes apart and much closer if I tried to get up and walk. I finally gave in, when Robbie reminded me that I had to get in antibiotics before delivery for GBS. He was really scared that I had secretly planned to have this baby in the tub at home and wanted to make sure that was not going to happen!! Thankfully, Robbie's mom was spending the night with us "just in case" we needed her, so we were able to get in the car and head to the hospital.

I don't know about the rest of you moms, but I always throw up (is there a prettier word for that?) with the pain during labor. This time was no exception. On the way to the hospital, Robbie had to pull over on the side of the road for me to expel my pain and the throw up continued the entire labor. This is no fun when you think you are going to get a relief from the pain of a strong contraction, only to be attacked in the stomach by dry heaves and the urge to throw up!

We got to the hospital a little before 3:00. I was dilated 4 cm and began my quick dose of antibiotics. Robbie and my sweet midwife were such good coaches to remind me how to breath, wipe the spit off my face like a helpless babe and encourage me through the peaks of the contractions so that I would know it was almost over. Robbie kept telling me to picture myself at the beach relaxing in the waves - I am hoping that picture turns into a reality soon, since I am having beach withdrawals already!!! By 4am the antibiotic bag was finally empty, I was dilated to 6 cm and begging for my water to be broken so that things would move quickly along. By 4:30 I was 8 cm and ready for baby to get out of me! Though I was not feeling the urge to push yet, I tried so that I would dilate quicker. As baby approached our midwife told Robbie to put on some gloves because he was going to help catch this baby!! This was his favorite part of all!! The midwife helped baby's head out and then let Robbie catch the rest of the body as it came out!! Thanks Holly for giving him that special memory!!

I was bit confused as to whether baby was a boy or a girl. I heard one nurse saying, "Here he comes" and someone else saying "I see her hair.'' I still don't remember how I finally knew we had a boy, but somehow I finally figured it out! They handed him to me immediately, but I never heard him cry - this was a first for me - all my babies have come out crying. He looked blue as well and I just remember giving him hard pats on the back to try to get him to cry. Obviously, they took him from me and suctioned his mouth. He had swallowed a good bit of meconium and had to have a special care nurse come in to get the rest out - this was a first as well. He ended up fine and was able to nurse, which always amazes me that they immediately know how to suck!

I will never cease to be amazed at the miracle of life God has created inside of us Moms!
Happy Mother's Day!
"Let everything that has breath praise the Lord!"
Psalm 150:6

1 comment:

  1. I love that you wrote it all down right now! You'll treasure this forever!!

    ReplyDelete