Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Dr. to the rescue!

It has taken us awhile, but after 5 kids and 9 years of parenting, we have learned very few health and medical situations require professional intervention. Don't get me wrong here, we have had our share of doctor visits and emergency room visits through the years. I'd say more than our share!

Here are a few to jog your memory!

Little E getting used to his nebulizer in the summer of 2008

CR getting his forehead stitched in the Fall of 2008

CH posing with her broken arm in Feb. 2009

MV after stitches in her lip in April 2009


But,through the years, we have also grown in our understanding of healing elements found in nature, knowing what warrants a doctor visit and what doesn't and so on. Notice that I said "we have grown", not that we know everything or anywhere close to it! Here is an example!

2 weeks ago, Little E had just climbed into his car seat at a friends house when their small dog ran up to the car. Little E, not yet buckled, decided he wanted to pet the little dog, so he reached down from the car seat and . . . fell out landing on the back of his head. I can't figure out how he did it, since I didn't see it. But the cry that followed let everyone around know that this little boy was in some serious pain! Not wanting to make more of a scene, Mama Bear grabbed him and sat with him in the backseat of the car comforting and feeling around for a bump underneath his bushy boy hair! It didn't take long to find the bump along with a moderate amount of blood. Forget making a scene, now we had to get inside under the lights and see what the cut looked like, clean it out and make a huge mess in our friend's nicely cleaned and ready for open house home!

Thinking we might be able to get by without stitches since the cut was under the hair, we headed home to make a final decision. Man, we were torn! If it had been on the front of the face, you know I would have jumped in the car to make our 4th visit to a plastic surgeon! But, since it was on the back of the head, we opted to seek our Facebook friends for help! One made the suggestion to superglue it, which Robbie had already suggested but I quickly shot down. We decided to research it a bit on the net and see what to do. Here is what we did via live Facebook updates!

"Unsuccessfully attempted super glue! Let's just say, I am in no way a nurse! Robbie needed a right-hand man and it was not me! Would have been nice to know that my fingers were gonna get stuck to his head when I pinched the cut together!"

After being asked how it turned out:
"Well, his cut is super glued, but i don't think we moved it any closer together! Robbie applied the glue while I pushed the cut together but the glue got all over my fingers, so I yanked back pulling his hair and head! He woke up and Robbie tried to fix my mess, but it was too late! i read where finger nail polish takes the glue off, so we might be having surgery #2 today! I think I'm joking about that, but at least the cut is sealed and not bleeding or oozing anymore. I think it looks better but not great!"

So, just remember that if you ask me for health advice I am officially giving my disclaimer. I AM NOT A NURSE OR A DOCTOR and any advice given from this mouth is worth what you paid for it!


"Dr." Daddy trying to shave around the cut without ruining his pretty hair!

The cut before we super glued!

No comments:

Post a Comment