What does it mean to "lift Him (meaning God!) higher"? See, I have to stop and think about that at church. For me, it doesn't mean that I can physically, with my hands, push Jesus into a higher place. I have the same ponderings with the lyrics "bless the Lord". Thinking, I know how He gives to me and blesses me. But, how can I bless the Lord?
Here's what I came up with. I can lift the name and character of God higher when I walk out of that church building and give Him praise instead of complaints. When I encourage others, instead of talk about them behind their back. When I humbly and quietly give of myself to be pleasing in His sight, not lifting myself higher. I can lift God higher when I tell of His goodness to me and not take credit for the praise others my throw on me. When I proclaim His blessings to those around me, I am blessing the Lord! When I show the love of my Father to my children, in every word and every deed, I give blessings back to Him! I can choose to lift Him higher today and to bless His name by living in the Spirit and dying to myself.
My biggest hurdle is in thanksgiving, not complaining about the very good and perfect gifts my Father has given me. That, and church. How critical I can be of all the churches we have visited.
God, forgive me for having a complaining and critical spirit. Change my heart to reflect the Your beauty in all I say, think and do.
So, here I am to lift Jesus higher than my ungrateful heart this morning. To proclaim to all of you, the blessings of the Lord!313. So many churches to visit!
314. Hearing birds outside my window
315. freshly cut wood, thanks to Tim!
316. a week full of reservations for the condo!
317. pulling into a garage for the first time in almost 2 years!
318. Reading time with little ones
319. Our family dentist, Grandaddy! Wow, what a blessing you have been! I have no idea who to trust my kids' teeth to now that you are retired!
320. Bargain shopping! So much fun to get to spend and save at the same time!
321. Anticipation of a new life!
322. Taxes completed
323. Valentine's Dy projects (oh how I complained about these, but they really were fun to make!) pictures soon!
324. Quiet moments to worship alone
325. The of Spring just around the corner

Love this!! I always feel so akward trying to be in the moment with the spirit but also focused on the words that I'm singing and what they mean. I was struggling with distraction during the "lift you higher" song on Sunday. What a great response.
ReplyDelete