Monday, February 16, 2009

Our Money Saving Practices

Here are some of the ways that we are saving money in this SLOW economy. Some of the things we have always done, just because we are both frugal! Some of the things we have added now that our income has greatly decreased. I am listing them according to our budget categories to help jog my memory!!


UTILITIES:
1. We keep the thermostat at 62 degrees during winter. We wear layers during the day and everyone has a fleece blanket to keep them warm at night! We actually get hot!
2. Lights off - windows open!
3. I have just this year started to wash all clothes in COLD water; only sheets get warm water
4. Re-use dryer sheets!
5. No cable for us - we are actually looking forward to no TV when DTV takes over!!
6.Basic phone service with no call waiting or long distance - we make our long distance calls on the weekend with cell phones
7. I love a hot bath, but have given it up for now and try to take quick, lukewarm showers :((
8. Turn the "heated dry" on the dishwasher off
9. Still looking for a way to lower our cell phone and internet bills

GROCERY:
1. Don't eat out!! This is a new one for us and a huge savings!! We loved to grab food on the go
2. Cook 2-3 meatless meals a week - potato and veggie soup, meatless spaghetti
3. We only drink milk, OJ and water - OJ is mixed with water for breakfast, milk is limited to dinner and water for everything else! We are used to this!
4. I'm trying to just use bottled water on the go and not at home - I love my bottles!
5. Buy and freeze on sale meat and bread
6. Buy 50 lb. bag of whole wheat berries to grind into flour for all breads and baking needs
7.Mostly buy apples, oranges, bananas and potatoes and carrots for fresh produce in winter
8. Buy lettuce, not bagged salad
9. Make birthday cakes - new one here - I love our local bakery's birthday cake!
10. I just started buying our generic just fruit jelly - I won't compromise here and buy high fructose syrup jelly, but Kroger's all fruit jelly is just as good as Polaner's and Smuckers
11. Eat lots of oatmeal for breakfast - its so filling also!
12. Started a garden to help with fresh produce for summer
13. Trying to get in the habit of using coupons, but I always seem to spend more this way.
14. I have bought Walmart brand make-up since child #2, I think. I miss my Clinique, but is it really worth it? Takes awhile to get over the cheap smell!!!
15. Just bought my first batch of Shaklee products. The concentrate cleaning products will save money and help the environment!!! http://www.shaklee.net/theway

CAR FUND:
1. Stay at home! This is hard sometimes, but saves lots on my gas!

CLOTHING:
1. Hand-me-downs
2. Consignment sales
3. Washable, no iron pants for Robbie have saved on dry cleaning bill
4. I sew most of the girls dresses for church

MEDICAL
1. I make herbal syrups instead of using prescription and over the counter meds for preventative care and some acute illnesses
2. We rarely go to the DR unless we have an emergency like CH's arm!!
3. have money is savings to pay bill early when it comes in - our hospital offers 15% off if you pay bill in full

PERSONAL:
1. I cut all the kids hair and buzz Robbie's - new for us but saves about $100 a month!!
2. Piano lessons from a college student instead of "professional"
3. Trying to check out books from public and church library - hard for me cause I love to buy books so we can read them over and over!
4. We read the newspaper online instead of subscribing to it - we have always done this!
5. No maid or yard boy here!
6. We spray our own yard for weeds
7. Have quit buying "stuff" and evaluate all purchases based on need or want
8. No babysitter in awhile - date nights are now movies in bed when kids go to sleep!
9. We play games often for entertainment with the kids, read and get outside whenever we can for nature walks and adventures - FREE!!!
10. Our gifts for Christmas and Valentines were homemade this year and I am sure birthdays will be also. This is hard because we love to splurge on our parents for all they have done and given to us!

MV is reading over my shoulder and said "we might have to take in boarders"!! She has watched the movie, Kit, which depicts a family struggling to make ends meet during the Great Depression. We have joked about this as we explain why we are not making Chick-Fil-A lunch runs anymore!!!

Okay, this is my quick brainstorm - please send your comments if you have anymore suggestions or ideas on what we women can do to help our families during this recession (is it officially a recession yet?)!



"To whom much is given, much is required." Luke 12:48

4 comments:

  1. Great post Dabney...we are right there with you on many things...:) Hey, y'all need to go on a date night before we leave...it'll give the kids some more time together too! :)
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dabney! I've been enjoying reading your blog! MV cracks me up about the boarder comment:) Sounds good to me!I've found a few sites you might want to check out. A lot of the information is about couponing/stockpiling, but there is other stuff too. www.moneysavingmom.com, www.bargainshopperlady.com,www.dealseekingmom.com. Maybe this will help some. Alisha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good ideas here! I'll check out the shaklee goods. Yes, the boys are both doing wonderfully with "100 easy lessons". I'm amazed at how well they are getting it. Maybe it's a boy thing?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved reading all your practices. Most we do also but also got some good ideas from you! Good post! What about have chickens for eggs and meat and a cow for beef? :)

    ReplyDelete