As I read through the familiar passage of Proverbs 31, I was reminded of the vast wisdom we see in this portrayal of a virtuous woman. First of all, I believe she is a wise woman because she "fears the Lord" (v.30) not simply because she seems to make good decisions in her life. If we truly fear the Lord and not man, our lives will begin to align with the lessons we learn from this timeless passage in Scripture. If we study this passage through a financial lense, we can grasp many wise ways to help our husbands in the home, as God created us to do, and not hurt them!! These questions are from my own reflection of this passage and relate to issues inside my heart, as I try to seek the best way to help my husband during this "economic downturn."
v.11 - "The heart of her husband safely trusts her; so he will have no lack of gain"
Can my husband trust me with the buying responsibilities of the household?
Can my husband trust me to spend our money in a way that brings glory to God?
v.12 - "She does him good and not evil . . . "
Do I help my husband stay under budget and not bring financial turmoil to the household?
Do I help make wise investments that will bless and others in the years to come?
v.13 - "She. . . willingly works with her hands."
v.14 - "She rises while it is still night, and provides food for her household"
v.16 - "She considers a field and buys it; from her profits she plants a vineyard."
Do I posses a hard work ethic in my home that helps provide for my families needs?
Do I make wise purchases for our family?
v. 20 - "She extends her hand to the poor."
Do I make a habit of giving to others in times of want and of plenty?
v. 27 - "She watches over the ways of her household. and does not eat the bread of idleness."
Do I use my time wisely while at home to prepare for and take care of my husband and my children? Or
Am I lazy and waste time doing things I want to do rather than caring for the needs of my family?
v. 28 - "Her children rise up and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praises her."
Will my children give testimony, one day, that I served the Lord with gladness and diligence in our home?
Does my husband consider me a diligent worker and approve or praise me for a job well done with the responsibilities he has given me?
"Charm is deceitful and beauty is passing, but a woman who fears the Lord, she shall be praised." Proverbs 31:30
STILL TO COME . . . WAYS THAT OUR FAMILY IS TRYING TO SAVE MONEY
This is an excellent, convicting topic & post. This has been on my heart lately as well. I tend to justify some of my "wants" because I am not as high maintenance as "other women". Well, God loves me & won't allow to me keep justifying. There are some areas (especially in the beauty product area) that I can save more money. Vanity is hard to have when you're fearing the Lord. Or the reverse, it's hard to fear the Lord while harboring vanity.
ReplyDeleteOh Dabney, it's funny you are wanting to focus on this right now, in the past few months, one of the ways that I have described you to my friends is the "Proverbs 31" woman. I see all these characteristics in you! What an example you are to me!
ReplyDelete