Thursday, March 5, 2009

Tips from TEACH

A while back, a friend (thanks, Cassie!) let me borrow some CDs from conference talks by Lorrie Flem, the publisher of TEACH magazine. I have probably had these CDs for over a year, but finally took the opportunity to listen to them when I had alone time in the car on my way to get the girls from visiting my Mom in January. Most of her sessions were for homeschooling moms, but all of the tips and advice can be used by all women to help run their household more efficiently. Below are some of the tips that I found most useful. They are in no particular order, just written down as they come to mind! To see more information or to subscribe to TEACH visit http://www.teachmagazine.com/.

1. Sit at the feet of Jesus every morning - before doing anything else! So important, yet it is so easy to neglect!
2. Make sure children are trained in obedience before attempting to train them in household chores/ responsibilities.
How should they obey?
a. completely
b. respectfully
c. immediately
d. joyfully
3. Use a schedule
I have found that we get more accomplished and are much happier when we have a schedule to follow. Nothing too rigorous for us, but at least an idea of who is supposed to be doing what and when.
4. Stay Home! Stay off the phone!
I try to make Fridays our "fun days and save Saturday mornings for my errands. It's hard, but I try not answer the phone during "school time" or meal time.
5. Organize toys into bins (we have just done this with the boys and love it!)
6. Give each child one treasure box to keep special trinkets that they find. When it is full, they have to take out some things before putting more in it.
7. When friends come over to play, pull out 2-3 bins to play with and the rest is off limits!
(We did this recently when a family with 4 small children like us came over and clean-up was much easier than when all 8 kids got to pull out everything from every room!)
8. Plan all three meals and even snacks!
I try to plan dinners, but forget about the others!
9. Bulk cooking -When making meals, make 5 instead of one. Eat that one and freeze the others.
***This is my favorite tip and helps to have meals ready to give others in emergencies!***
10. When assigning household jobs, always assign them to the youngest child who can do it (save the older children for harder tasks!)
11. Always ask husbands advice before asking other women!!
12. Show younger children how to clean room, but don't do it for them!
This has helped with my younger 3. I give them specifics to clean instead of a general "go clean your room". Like, first, make your bed. Next, pick up all the books. Now, pick up all the clothes. And then, pick up the toys. It goes much faster if I supervise the boys!
13. Set goals, write them down, be consistant.
I keep a list of Bible verses for each child that I like to pray for them. Some have to do with issues of the heart that we are currently working on. Others are long term verses to pray, like for their salvation, spouses, wisdom, girls to learn and display hospitalilty and be keepers of their homes, boys to be strong and courageous in their love of God and leading their families.

2 comments:

  1. Dabney - Thank you for continuing to share all these things with the rest of us! I love reading about what you are learning and doing. You really encourage me to better myself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful tips - thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete