We have finally gotten back into the habit of using our "responsibility chart" at home. This is basically our list of chores that should be done every day. Our routine has changed since moving and we now eat breakfast before we start on our chores. After breakfast, I get the chart off the fridge and let the kids start at the top doing their responsibilities. (I like to call them "responsibilities" in hopes that they are learning to be responsible!) After each responsibility is completed, the kids get to write a tally mark under that task. At the end of the week, we tally up the marks and mom or dad gives the kids money for their work. We have chosen the "money" route as encouraged by Dave Ramsey to teach our kids to be hard workers and to help them learn that when they work hard, they get paid.

MV counting out her money
Now, the rule in our house is that the kids can never ask to put a tally mark on their chart and they know that they are really working hard to please Jesus and not to get money. Sometimes we try to reinforce this by telling them not to put tally marks down and to work hard for Jesus instead. They actually enjoy doing their work for Jesus more than for us parents!
I think my little peanut deserves some money in his bank for all the smiles he has been dishing out these past few weeks! It is so fun to watch him smile and laugh, but makes me realize how quickly they really do grow up! I am already missing the newborn baby days!
After getting paid for their work, we use Larry Burkett's My Giving Bank to help teach the kids how to Give, Save and Spend wisely. Once we give them their real money, we always have them put money in the "church" bank first, then into the "savings" bank and lastly into the "store" bank for fun stuff. 

CR giving his "first fruits" to the church bank
We empty this bank once a monthish and take it to church for the offering, our local crisis pregnancy center, or find some other ministry to give it to.
I have loved using this bank because it gives a small window into their small hearts. Many times the kids have emptied their long term savings and spending banks to give to others who needed it or to buy presents for one another. My selfish heart always wants to encourage them NOT to spend their savings, but I have decided that allowing them the freedom to give what they have is better than encouraging them to "store up treasures for themselves." I have even tried taking the savings money out and putting it in a real bank account for them, but they always seem to remember that they have more money somewhere.
This week was the first time that I took Cassie's advice and opened a store for the kids to spend their money on items that I have found and bought. I first found some good books at Good Will and then bought some cheap toys at our faithful Dollar General Store. Today, I decide just to put the books out for sale and maybe next week I will let them choose from the toys.

My stash of books from Goodwill

CH chose a Madeline book!

Little E chose "Brown Bear, Brown Bear"
I told them only one book today, so that they would not spend all their money and will probably continue this trend by only letting them buy one item each week. I think we will rotate weeks by categories like books, toys, sweet treats, family coupons, etc. They were very excited to get to buy their books today and I hope it encourages them to continue working hard at home!

I think my little peanut deserves some money in his bank for all the smiles he has been dishing out these past few weeks! It is so fun to watch him smile and laugh, but makes me realize how quickly they really do grow up! I am already missing the newborn baby days!
oh my goodness! That is the most precious smile!!! I love it! I hate that we aren't closer, I'm missing him!! And Caitlin needs her same age cousin around!
ReplyDelete