Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Sweet Sleep and Humble Pie!

Robbie and I have always had a lot in common. We are both highly competitive. We are both frugal with a bend towards splurges. And we both LOVE to roll coins! So, it was no surprise to find out when we got married that we also both love our sweet sleep! No night owls or early birds here - just constant 10:00pm - 7:00am kind of people. We also both enjoy structure without going nuts over it. So, it was also no surprise that our children just fell right into our sleep routine. Okay, honestly, they didn't just "fall" into it. We worked hard at training them to sleep like we sleep, which is where the "humble" pie comes in. Back to the first 4 kids though! They all slept through the night between 5-8 weeks old. I always new that if I could just get through the first 6 weeks, I could survive because my sweet sleep routine would return. Now, Baby W was not too different to begin with. He pulled his first All-Nighter around 8 weeks and the dark circles and sleep deprived nights were, again, a thing of the past!

That is, until we moved to the good-life in the country. Somewhere along the move, Baby W’s sweet little schedule got messed up and with the close quarters on the home front (I mean “house front!), Mama got into the routine of getting out of bed to insert pacifier or mama’s milk jug (couldn’t think of a blog friendly way to say that!) whenever the little one cried! It just seemed easier than waking the whole house with the cries.

At four months, just a few weeks ago, I finally decided that Baby W was old enough to sleep on his own and kicked him out the bedroom and into the kitchen. Where else was he supposed to go in a 2 bedroom cottage??!! We tried a few nights of letting him cry it out, which didn’t work for us and our sleep. I even found MV getting up at 4:30 one morning, roaming through the dark to plug up the noise. Right behind her came CH wanting to know where MV was! So much for that plan! Now, I am back to getting up usually once during the night and putting the pacifier back in for this paci-luvin' baby boy! At least everyone else gets to sleep this way! And Mama gets to eat her humble pie, since I have been "puffed up" a time or two about how easy it is to get babies to sleep through the night!!

1 comment:

  1. Love the sleeping angels and your honesty!!! It's funny how much we want to take credit for the good things in our lives...as if we could do ANYTHING apart from God's grace!!! Thanks for keepin' it real my dearest friend. I am blessed to call you sister! :) Maybe someone could invent a breathable velcro to the face pacy!!! :) I love you!

    ReplyDelete