Yesterday Robbie learned a very valuable lesson about life in the country. You see, we have found that most things are cheaper here in the country than in the big city. For example, Robbie bought me a half dozen roses for my birthday from a local florist down the road. I thought they were much prettier than the ones he used to give me in J-town. And they were a steal for only $12!! Now, he didn't want me to see the price for fear that I would be upset that he only spent $12 on flowers for me instead of the $50 he usually spends for the same amount of roses. But I was ecstatic! That would be worth a drive to the country come Valentine's Day!
The same lady also runs a produce stand where we bought most of our fruits and veggies this summer. She sold farm fresh green beans washed and cut for .99/lb. Now I know Kroger sells them for .99 on occasion, but who knows where they came from and they aren't washed, cut and ready to cook! We also bought watermelons and cantaloupes for $1! Can't wait for next summer so we can stock up the freezer!
I started to have my suspicions about the quality of country discounts when we took our four-wheeler in to get the brakes fixed and 2 others to get tune ups. Ours came back with one break fixed and the other worse than when we left it and the 2 others have had to go back in the shop for more work. Maybe this is normal, but I sure thought it was a ploy to get us back in there!
While I was gone to the beach, Robbie took his car into a no-name shop down the road to get a new pair of tires put on. I thought he should have gone to a reputable company in the city, but he said it was fine (not really a lot cheaper though). Fast forward two weeks to yesterday and Robbie is stopped at Sonic picking up dinner for his poor, sick wife who was home in bed with a migraine. As he pulled out, his car began to shake from side to side so he quickly pulled over and got out of the car to see what the problem was. He immediately saw that he had only 1 lug nut on one of his front tires and that one was on its way off! The mechanic at the tire shop had forgotten to tighten the lug nuts on his tire and they had all come loose and fallen off, even the bars, with the exception of this one that was on its way off!
Thankfully, he had pulled off the road and was sitting in the parking lot of an auto shop (still a no-mane one though!)! One of the workers was kind enough to tighten the lonely lug nut and find one more that matched his tire. Good enough to send him on his way home, but we are still short a few lug nuts! This has me wondering if the migraine was from God so that Robbie would take a different route home than normal and be right at an auto store exactly when he needed to be. Hmmm?? I sure am thankful for that migraine!
Today, Robbie called the country tire shop to let them know of there mistake and received a very ugly response from the secretary. I told him to just call the Better Business Bureau and file a complaint so that others will know not to use this shop. He informed me that he had already tried that and the business was not a member! Maybe we should have started there to make sure our car, and our lives, were in good hands!
MORAL OF THE STORY: Call before you go. Use a reputable company. LISTEN TO YOUR WIFE!! (j/k!)
No comments:
Post a Comment