Friday, October 16, 2009

What kind of man do you have?

Today is Robbie's birthday and a day to celebrate HIM as God's wonderful gift to me and the kids! I picked up an old book in storage over the weekend and decided to look it over again. The name is Created to be His Help Meet by Debi Pearl. I was quickly reminded that there are 3 types of men, generally speaking: Mr. Command, Mr. Visionary, and Mr. Steady. If any of you know my husband very well, you know with confidence that I married "Mr. Visionary". Here is a snippet of the author's description of this kind of man and a close resemblance of my visionary husband!

"He may invest everything in a chance and lose it all or make a fortune, but he will not do well working 8 to 5 in the same place for thirty years, and then retiring to live the good life. . . He may purchase an alligator farm in Florida or a ski resort in Colorado, or he may buy an old house trailor for $150 with hopes of fixing it up and selling it for $10,000, only to find out that it is so deteriorated that it can't be moved. He will then have his wife and all the kids help him tear the top off and carry the scraps to the dump, (saving the appliances on the already crowded garage), so he can make a farm trailer out of the axles. Now that he has a farm trailer and no animals, expect him to get a deal on three, old sick cows and . . . He may never be rich in money, but he will be rich in experience."

For those of you who don't know Robbie, here is a little background on our almost 10 years of life experience together. When we first married, we lived in a two car garage that was part of a four-plex that Robbie had renovated and used as rental property. It took me 3 months to convince him to get me out of there and buy me a brand new house! Huge mistake on my part, but I was spoiled and Robbie enjoyed spoiling me! We are currently living in our 8th house in 10 years and I think we have come full circle back to our humble beginnings in the 2 car garage!

During our moves across the south, we have started a side book business twice, purchased 2 children's boutique stores entire inventory, purchased and renovated a rental house to sell, purchased a condo in Florida as rental property (and saved the 20 year old appliances to haul back to TN on a trailer and sell at a garage sale!), purchased land on the TN river for which we bought an old ski boat that rarely ever worked (we literally had to pay someone to take it away as salvage) and last year Robbie got his real estate license just for the fun of it! Robbie loves business and making deals so much that he is constantly looking for bargains to flip. It is a huge stress relief for him, but I have to admitt that I enjoy it almost as much as he does!

So, for his birthday this year, Robbie told me he wanted a pair of overalls!! I laughed, knowing that my Mr. Visionary is wanting to be a farmer so bad right now that all I can do is sit back and enjoy the ride! So, I bought him his first pair of Carhartt's this week and the boys a pair to go along with him! And on Saturday, he gets to go pick out his cows to start a cattle farm!

I guess the new house can wait this time - I have an adventure to partake in!

4 comments:

  1. ha ha!! I laughed so hard reading that description....that is SO Robbie!!! What a blessing God brought the two of you together!! Happy Birthday Robbie!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was a great post! I loved it!!! You are the perfect wife for Mr. Visionary too!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it! You had me cracking up! Ya'll are spontaneous, huh? I'm going to have to get that book. I would say that I am probably married to Mr. Steady.

    Keep enjoying your awesome adventures together! A late happy birthday to Robbie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's GREAT!!! I love it- I think I may have a visionary as well...... gotta love those fellas! I hope all is well with you guys. We miss you!

    Kristie

    ReplyDelete