Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Movin' On Up!

We are supposed to work out a land deal this week for 8 acres in one of the most beautiful parts of Middle Tennessee. This sounds like an answered prayer, right? Haven't you all listened to me grumble about my meager abode for months now? But, inside my heart, I am hesitant. Sure, life is a bit uncomfortable here. The driving gets old and I am sure we will grow stir crazy when Winter brings her frigid temperatures. The laundry issue is still a pain and Baby W's sleep routine is still unsettled from a lack of a quiet bedroom.

67. Opportunities
68. A changed heart

BUT, we are really enjoying our simple life here! The country life is growing on us so much that we don't want to leave this quiet and peaceful place that we have made our temporary home! We love building fires in the fire pit and taking nature walks on what we call the four-wheeler trails. Sunday night we built a good fire outside and I read our bedtime stories from Uncle Wiggly while the kids poked sticks in the fire. Even I didn't want to come in and go to bed! And yesterday, the boys and I had made a fire and roasted marshmallows all before 9:30 in the morning! Robbie's cows are supposed to be delivered this weekend and I have finally agreed that we can start raising chickens as part of our mini farm adventures! Though, given our short track record, I am not so sure that we are cut out to raise animals. We lost one calf (Robbie doesn't count this loss because he was sick when we got him!) and lost one of our bee hives already!

God has blessed us here, but not in the sense that most people envision blessings. He has blessed us with an experience and adventure that leaves us wanting to learn more about Him and His creation as we spend time together as a family. He has blessed us with a lot of each other because y'all know there isn't anyone else out here except for our quiet but friendly neighbors! He has blessed us by teaching us that less really is best. We are living with so little right now, but hardly miss any of it (now, I am sure I could make a long list if I really thought about it, but I don't think about it too much anymore!). We are blessed not to have the television and the worldly influences from the commercials and morally deprived shows. God has been good to us and we don't want to leave the simple pleasures we have found on the farm!

69. bedtime stories fireside
70. sticky kisses from marshmallow mouths
71. Unconventional blessings
72. Living with less
73. Simple pleasures

On the other hand, we would really love to have our own place again. We have always wanted to plant fruit trees once we made our jump to the country life and we want to work on making a real garden this Spring. Even if we do buy the land we probably won't build for a long while (not really sure what that means!). So, we will be soaking up all the adventures we can while we can here. Next on our agenda is to go fossil hunting in the creek!!

In the mean time, here are some pics of my little guy "moving up". He took off crawling and sitting up last week at only 5 1/2 months old! He loves to sit on his knees in his crib and screech for me to pick him up! I wasn't ready to start training him in obedience yet :( - lots of no-no's come with him crawling in this cramped and junked up house!

74. new adventures
75. healthy kiddos (I know I take this for granted!)


76. Lessons that "stick" CH asked: Mom can I work at Baskin Robbins when I get big?
Me: Sure
CH: But I thought God has a plan for my life? Don't I have to ask God what He wants me to be when I get big?

3 comments:

  1. Oh wow! You are in the beginning stages of homesteading!!! This is my desire. So much in agreement with you on the TV issue. I would love to set that black box out on the curb! That's ok. I'll keep praying! We live in tight quarters, as well. Not in the country yet. We would like to have a little land with a cabin on it. Might sound like a fairy tale to some but this is what I'm praying for and I can bring my request to Him. I sure want Him to give us what we need, not just what we want.

    Your adventures are absolutely priceless!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope I didn't overstep any boundaries with you by nominating you, concerning your privacy. I certainly understand though. I am still kind of hesitant, myself. I just stated that I was going to take ya'll on a journey with me to the cabin soon on my other blog (journey on steady). This is where I grew up in my younger years. Wanna talk about a shack...no running water. Life was extremely simple but we grew our own food. Never starved. I want to return very much. Maybe with some updates to the situation, lol! You are welcomed to email me anytime (on my profile page).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe he's crawling! He's getting so big. It's nice to be able to get on here and see how you are doing. Ann

    ReplyDelete