Though I have not done my homework on Advent to the fullest, I have read a little about it on the web as we try a modified version of the celebration this year at home. According to Wikipedia, "Advent is a time of expectant waiting and preparation for the celebration of the Nativity of Jesus at Christmas." I haven't figured out completely what all the colors of the candles stand for, but we have enjoyed a few nights at home reading from the Focus on the Family Advent readings about the coming of Jesus. The girls have been our Scripture readers and the boys get to light the candles while we all listen and try to find clues in the verses that tell us something about the coming Messiah.



Things haven't exactly gone as I had planned though! All 5 kids don't sit calmly and listen to the readings with anticipation like I envisioned. Little Sister is still learning to read and needs help with some of her words, which lends itself to loosing the boys' attention rather quickly. Baby cries if Mama isn't holding him and someone ends up having to go to bed early because they were talking or picking on siblings instead of paying attention! See why I said we are doing a "modified" version of Advent?! All in all, we are enjoying the readings and it does have my little ones asking, "Mommy, is it Christmas Day yet?". We are definitely a work in progress over here, but I know one day far too soon I will deeply miss these days when my lap is full of kids who are eager to answer simple questions about the Baby in the manger.
We are doing an advent wreath this year as well. I love your honesty!!! :)
ReplyDeletehttp://candles.lovetoknow.com/Advent_Candle_Meaning