Tuesday, May 4, 2010

The Flood of 2010

This past weekend our small area of the country was devastated by 2 days of record breaking rainfall which lead to vast flooding like this area has never seen before. On Saturday, we were so consumed with keeping an eye on the weather in West TN, where we used to live and still have friends and family, that we didn't even realize our own part of TN was experiencing an even grander scale of the devastation. We knew we were experiencing a lot of rain, but we had no idea how horrible the flooding was here in our own neck of the woods until we tried to get out and couldn't.

For starters, Robbie was feeling sick all weekend, the kids were stir crazy and Mama needed to find something to do. So, once the threat of tornadoes was over, I loaded up the kids in the car to go for a drive. It was still raining in spurts, but not enough to make driving dangerous. I had this crazy idea that driving down the Natchez Trace Parkway to a waterfall would be a good way to release some energy and a fun time to see a lot of water fall over Jackson Falls. I carried baby W and held Little E's hand as the clan of Masonites descending the park walkway in search of an adventure! I like adventure. I like exploring. And I love nature!

But, I wasn't prepared for the heart stopping fright I would experience on our short little walk! You might remember our trip to this waterfall last summer. It was more than tame! The kids could sit on the upper fall with trickles of water flowing down that wouldn't even move them. This time, as you might expect, our trip was far from tame! We passed several waterfalls flowing over the trail before we ever made it to the real waterfall. And we never did make it to the real waterfall! The smaller falls were gushing so fast over the trail that this adventurous girl just couldn't take a chance with all my babies in tow. Now, if I had been alone, it might have been a different story! But as it was, we made it passed 2 small falls and were stopped short by this fall that made me want to run back to the car!
This water was running over our trail!

The creek below the Fall


It was flowing over a the trail which was overlooking a cliff. There was a railing to assist in walking, but all I could envision was a child slipping and falling in the rushing water and sliding right off the cliff. We took a quick picture and high-tailed it back to the car as fast as we could! Man, I was scared!

Back safely in the car, we made one more pit stop before heading home. An old house that belonged to a man who ran a ferry along the Duck River. The kids wanted to take the trail to the River, but I thought it wise to stay away from water for a few days! Maybe next time, kiddos!
Sunday morning arrived bringing with it more rain. We were stuck in 900 sq. of living space for another day and Robbie was still feeling sick, so I had another bright idea to take the kids to Opry Mills for the day. This time, Robbie said he didn't trust me and wanted to come along to be my chaperon! We made it to the I-40 and realized we couldn't get on it. Police were blocking the exit and all of the Interstate traffic was being diverted to our road. Well, how about we drive to Leiper's Fork and see if the roads there are okay? We made it to the small town and found severe flooding all around us. Driveways were washed away, streets were underwater, cars were stranded in the rising flood waters. We had no idea the area had been hit so hard. And still today, we drove through areas that quite literally looked like a tornado mowed through them. You can still see filthy water lines up passed peoples windows. Lives have been lost while other peoples lives are in turmoil as they sift through the wet belongs the waters left behind. And yet, God is good! He is always good! We can't always see His plan, but I am praying that we all use this tragic disaster to magnify His name. To reach out to those in need. Especially those we don't know. To praise His name in every conversation we have. To put aside our comforts for a few days and bring His comfort to those who need it most right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment