Monday, May 17, 2010

Turkey Day!

I'm not sure how I missed writing about this HUGE day in our house! Robbie had a friend take him turkey hunting late one afternoon in our backyard. CR went with him and, of course, loved every minute of walking the 300 acres back there and stopping to call and listen for turkeys. That hunt was unsuccessful. The next day, more Masonites wanted to go hunting so Robbie took the girls for a quick "hunt" after dinner. Still no success. Little E was begging to go the next night, but Robbie really wanted to kill a turkey not just look for turkey, so Little E had to stay behind with the rest of the clan while Robbie promised to return in 30 minutes to take Little E on a 4-wheeler ride to look for turkey.


True to his word, Robbie called me 10 minutes after he left the house and asked me to look on-line to see how to clean a turkey. Really? You really killed one? Since Little E missed out on all the other "hunts" I took him first out to the pasture to see what Daddy had! He was thrilled, but still wanted his 4-wheeler ride! Which meant, Robbie had to load me up with the turkey to take back to the house. I don't do dead animals. Don't even like to look at them, much less touch them. So, when this Tom bird fell off my 4-wheeler, I sure was glad to have my adventurous Ham bone around to pick it up for me! What was she thinking carrying that thing around like a baby doll!?!!

Robbie figured out how to clean the bird and handed out feathers for all the kids and animals to enjoy! The bird is in the freezer and I'm pretty sure it won't ever be eaten - not by me at least! I'm halfway kidding, but I truly have a hard time eating wild meat. I know it's far better than the store bought meat, but something happens to me mentally and I can't handle it! I did finally taste the goat milk though, and am proud to say that I almost liked it! Quite honestly, I can't tell much of a difference, but that whole mental thing keeps me from saying that it was good! If I can get over the whole goat thing, surely there is hope that I can cook and eat this turkey! I might need some help though!

1 comment:

  1. I loved this! I died laughing at Carlie holding that thing. Next time I have to bury a dead chicken, I'll be sure and call Carlie to come over. I use rubber gloves, trash bags galore...the works! I'm way impressed! You are inching closer and closer to a "country gal" Dabney!

    ReplyDelete