
I'm a little bit disappointed. Just last weekend, and occasionally before that, Robbie began to seriously let me know that we need a new car. Not a NEW car, but a "new to us" car! I have been fighting him on this issue for a couple of reasons. First, my car is almost ready to hit 200,000 miles! Now, most would say that it is time to trade in the old clunker, or better yet, take her to the junk yard; but, I'm excited about driving my first 200,000 mile car! We have always traded cars around 100,000 miles, but we have put a new transmission and a new rear end (whatever that is, I really don't know!) in my trusty Suburban, so I figured we might as well drive it till it crashes. I feel like we have reached a level of contentment where we don't have to have a new car ever 2 years with all the latest gadgets and tech gear. And it feels good to be content! I want to hang out here a few more years and see how many miles we can make the old thing go!
My second reason for not wanting a new car is because the next car we buy will be with cash! We have never bought a car with cash before, but have always had a car note and just paid it off quickly. Now, the thought of throwing away a pile of cash for shiny "new to us" car makes me feel a little insecure. Money in the bank feels secure; money in a car feels really INsecure! But, my wise husband thinks money in the back is safe; money in a new car feels SAFER because his family will be safer.
In his defense, his car is really the clunker that is not safe. It is really falling apart and reaching 200,000 miles as well. It served a good purpose back in J-town where work was 1 mile away, but now with a 30 minute commute he thinks it's time to take his to the junk yard, let him drive mine and get me a "new to us" tank. I'm beginning to come around. . .
On Monday, I had errands to run. The big one was meeting a lady in Nashville with 2 kid goats to sell. No problem. I was glad to do it and glad to sell the kids. As I approached Nashville on I-40, my faithful suburban began to jump or pulsate. I quickly began to loose accelerating power and had to veer through traffic quickly to get to the shoulder. I made it to the shoulder only to find myself on a bridge with orange construction cones blocking the shoulder in front of me. I was stuck and began to panic! I quickly called Robbie and told him how scared I was and asked him to come and get me, the three boys and the 2 goats as fast as possible! I called a wrecker who said it would be 2 hours before they could get to me and wanted to make sure I was in a safe place. That was debatable! I sure didn't feel safe!
In the meantime, the boys and I prayed for safety and slowly began to reverse off the bridge to a safe grassy area. One hour later we made it! The lady buying the goats met me on the side of the Interstate and we made the exchange. After an hour and half, my knight in shining armour arrived to take us car looking! He couldn't wait to drive on a car lot and start shopping for a new vehicle. And, after riding in his car on the Interstate, I finally agreed! His has to go, mine is now fixed and we need (not want!) something safer for whole family!
It's feeling painful already, just looking at the price of cars to fit this family of 7!
No comments:
Post a Comment