Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Officially Slaves . . .


Today we put on the chains and officially became slaves - slaves to the bank that is! All day I have had people ask me if I was excited about our new house. While I am excited and grateful, I also feel a little somber. Definitely not feeling sad about leaving this Little House on the Prairie, but a little sad and reluctant to be joining the world of debt again. It felt amazingly freeing not to have a mortgage - a freedom I don't know that I have felt before. That feeling of freedom has given us a deeper desire to live debt free, including our house. Joining the mortgage world almost felt like we were giving up on that dream. I know it can still happen, that we can take control of our spending and pay down our mortgage quicker than the term of the loan, but something about signing papers for a mortgage felt like signing away our lives. So, it was a bit depressing, but somehow exciting at the same time. Crazy, I know, but I honestly feel both emotions. Having a baby with diarrhea and throwing up this morning along with a swim meet for 3 kids didn't help get me excited about the house either. I was much more excited and focused on my kids swimming! But, tomorrow is a new day. And it's moving day, so I feel confident the excitement will begin to outweigh the somberness once we get to spend the night in our new prision! (That was my poor attempt at humor!)
"The Borrower is slave to the lender." Proverbs 22:7

No comments:

Post a Comment