Friday, January 28, 2011

Do you believe God?

That seems like an easy enough question. Most of us would say rather quickly, without a thought that yes, we believe in God and in the Bible. But do we actually believe HIM. As in, believe that what He tells us through His Holy Word is true? Again, I think I would too easily say, "Yes! I believe Him! I know what He says is true!" So, if I believe Him, why do I find myself questioning Him in the smallest of truths? I'm not talking about the really hard truths that deal with pain and suffering, trajedy and loss. I'm just talking about the simple day to day truths that are in conflict with what the world says.

Here's one example that some of you may be able to relate with. About a year ago, I had the priviledge of having my little sister point out my very first gray hair. Now, I didn't actually believe her until about a month later when I for myself found 3 little white strands of hair on my perfectly young head of hair! I was past shocked - I was in disbelief! How could this be? How could I, who still feels so young, begin showing signs of old age? I was only 31.

I proceeded to pull those 3 strands of gray out of my full head of brown hair, but the more I began looking for gray hairs, the more I have found. Now I am stuck with a dilemna? Do I continue to pull those ugly reminders of old age or do I color them?

In the midst of this dilemna, I had to stop and ask the questions, "Why do I want to stay forever young? Why do I want to look like I am young and not aging properly? Why do we think it isn't beatiful to grow old with wrinkles and gray hair?" I had to admit that I have chosen to believe the lies of Satan and this dark world that tell us that only youth is beautiful and old age is worthless and ugly. Isn't that what the world believes? Don't I affirm those beliefs every time I pull a gray hair or contemplate coloring those few strands of ugly grays?

Now, I'm not saying that I think it is wrong to color my hair or even that I won't, because I probably will one day. But why, if I really believe God, do I not live like I believe Him when he says, "Gray hair is a crown of glory; it is gained in a righteous life." Proverbs 16:31
My God thinks gray hair is beautiful, a crown of glory! Do I believe Him?
That's just one example for today! Maybe I will share more later. What ways do you struggle to believe God over the loud voice of this world?

1 comment:

  1. Hey there - I had no idea that you had a blog!! I was reading through Heather's and saw a response from you which led me here.
    I hope you don't mind. I can't say enough about this post. I am quite sympathetic to the gray hair dilemma thanks to my hair stylist pointing it out. Ignorance was bliss for a while!! More importantly though, the heart of what you are saying seems to be on my mind so much right now. Thanks for your honesty. I am constantly struggling with how difficult giving myself to God really is.

    ReplyDelete