Inside I'm kicking my feet and screaming at the top of lungs like a spoiled toddler (not mine of coarse!). I'm fighting myself for control over my emotions. You know by now, that I hate winter. Hate it. I've tried to be a good little girl and not complain too much about the cold weather, but usually we get a break and Spring sends a note to remind us that she is just around corner. Not this year. This year, we get more of winter. More snow. More freezing temperatures. More nasty weather that makes me want to hide inside under the covers until I can step outside in flip flops and short sleeve shirts.
But my inner turmoil is only partly to blame on the weather. I can usually pretend to ignore Winter by retreating inside my nice, big, warm house. But this year, I don't have a nice, big, warm house. I have tiny, cold, overcrowded house where junk abounds, messes grow and multiply by the minute and privacy is as foreign as soda pops in the South.
I'm itching to get out of this house. Things are fun and fine for a short time, but the chaos that breeds inside these walls is driving me mad. I know God has us here for a reason and that this place has been a HUGE blessing to us. I know God is the future and knows what tomorrow holds and what my needs are far better than I do. I know that I have enjoyed the freedom that can only be felt when you are not a slave to the bank. I have learned (not mastered!) patience and contentment (maybe I need another lesson here?)and have come to love life in the country.
My thoughts are running away from me and leading my heart astray; or, maybe it is the other way around. Either way, I know what I must do to stop the toddler from breaking free. To allow the Holy Spirit to fill my heart with gladness and to offer up sacrifices of joy instead of whining complaints of discontent. No, a beach trip would not resolve the issues of my heart; though I think a new house would! It doesn't have to be a new house, just MY house! Okay, so that wouldn't solve it either.
What I need is to stop and "bring every thought into captivity to the obedience of Christ..." II Corinthians 10:5. I have been walking in the flesh and not in the Spirit. I have allowed my mind to be controlled by my selfish desires and not to be focused on the abundant blessings my God has so graciously bestowed upon me. I have neglected my gratitude posts and my attitude of gratitude all together. What has Christ commanded me to do?
"Do all things without complaining or disputing." Philippians 2:14
"Let your conduct be without covetousness; be content with such things as you have. For He Himself said, 'I will never leave you nor forsake you.' " Hebrews 13:5
"Rejoice in the Lord ALWAYs. Again, I will say, rejoice!" Philippians 4:4
". . . in everything give thanks; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you." I Thess. 5:18
"Be anxious for NOTHING, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God." Philippians 4:6
"Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer." Romans 12:12
It's time for battle! I know "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" (Phil. 4:13) and I am in need of some strengthening right now! I'm putting on my armour of God to fight the good fight!
No comments:
Post a Comment